What makes IT projects so difficult to deliver on-time, on-budget, and meeting user needs? This course focuses on the fundamental project management methods needed to plan and execute successful IT projects. You will learn about the common mistakes managers make on IT projects and how to avoid them.
As a result of attending this class, participants will be able to:
Create the business case for an IT project
Identify project requirements and prepare a detailed scope statement
List the main deliverables and subdeliverables in a work breakdown structure
Identify and obtain staff and other resources needed
Prepare a project schedule
Create accurate estimates and a project budget
Identify, prioritize and plan for risks
Identify quality standards and how they will be achieved on the project
Communicate with key project stakeholders
Prepare project management plans and execute them
Monitor and control project progress
Capture lessons learned and close the project
IT project managers, IT team leaders, IT professionals, project managers, managers, IT project team mambers, associate project managers, project coordinators
1. IT Project Traps - Learn common problems that arise on IT projects, and past project management mistakes to avoid. Understand the importance of planning for ambiguity and controlling changes.
2. Building the IT Project Business Case - Learn techniques used to evaluate the value of IT projects, develop the project charter, and make preliminary assessments of cost, schedule, resources, risk and stakeholders.
3. Scope and Requirements Definition - Learn how to gather requirements from key stakeholders using interviews, workshops and other techniques. Understand the importance of incorporating constraints into the project plans
4. Decomposing Deliverables and Activities - Learn how to divide deliverables and activities into smaller, more manageable pieces for planning and control purposes. Understand the best methods of displaying the work to different stakeholder groups.
5. Staff and Resource Management - Learn the resources typically needed on IT projects including hardware, software, networking, and vendors. Learn different methods used to create a responsibility matrix.
6. Scheduling - Learn how to prepare a schedule including resource leveling and acceptable methods for accelerating the finish date.
7. Cost Planning and Control - Learn different estimating techniques and when they are appropriate to use. Apply control techniques to forecast spending and keep the project on-budget.
8. Risk Identification and Management - Learn the steps in risk planning, identification, evaluation, action planning and follow through. Learn techniques including using the risk matrix, risk scoring, and adding a risk reserve to the cost and schedule baseline.
9. Project Quality Management - Understand the quality standards most often used on IT projects, how to measure project performance, and how to prepare for quality reviews.
10. Communication Planning and Techniques - Learn how to identify stakeholders' information needs, how to gather project information, and the best methods for disseminating information and maintaining stakeholder commitment.
11. Change Management - Learn the common signs that unmanaged changed have occurred on the project, best practices for managing change requests, monitoring that approved changes have been implemented, and integrating changes across all aspects of the project plan.
12. Procurement Management - Learn about the procurement cycle, your responsibilities in monitoring vendors, and the most appropriate types of contracts to use.
This class typically lasts 4 days and can be customized for your participants' learning needs and skill level.